Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 28, 2012

Good News About UNR

Here’s good news about UNR:

1. UNR is now ranked in the top 100 public universities by US News and World Report. US News also ranks UNR in the top tier of “best national universities.”

2. Nevada is #1 in terms of US geothermal energy potential.UNR’s Great Basin Center for Geothermal Energy supports exploration and development by industry. UNR was selected from among a consortium of top universities in the field of geothermal energy to host the National Geothermal Academy. The second annual academy will be hosted in Reno in summer 2012.

Footnote:

UNLIMITED ACADEMIC FREEDOM to write an experiment on every issue, to all of us, is absolutely essential to human progress.  Fortunately there are laws on the books that provide more than ample protection of those rights so that no college professor’s work can ever be thwarted, or his job threatened.

BUT TENURE IS ANOTHER MATTER.  It is not a right necessary to protect academic freedom.  Rather, it is a right that too often is used to protect the incompetent and the inadequate.  TENURE MUST BE ELIMINATED.  The problems it creates far exceed the good that it does.  I’ll have more later.

 

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Rogers, I must respectfully disagree with you. Now, having said that, I will state that I am a college professor and have tenure--and if I did not have tenure, I would not have posted that statement, respectfully or not, because I have every reason to believe that I would be fired for saying it. I, too, believe that tenure is no reason to keep the incompetent and inadequate, and I would be glad to explain the problem to you. But on this, you could not be more wrong.

    ReplyDelete