Here’s good news about the Desert Research Institute:
1. DRI provides profound economic impact to Nevada, by leveraging $5 for every state dollar invested!
2. DRI has 558 employees with 140 research faculty
3. DRI’s non-tenured/soft-money faculty generate own salaries
4. DRI’s faculty brings $40M into Nevada’s economy!
5. At any given time, DRI conducts about 300 research projects worldwide
Why should the working man and woman without a college education, and with absolutely no job protection and no ability to negotiate for that job protection be at risk of being pauperized when a college professor, with a Ph.D. and a unique commodity to sell, has a lifetime of guaranteed employment because of his or her being tenured.
There are no legitimate reasons for overly protecting those who need no protection if they are competent and perform their jobs rather than use the protection given them under “tenure” to rip off the institution and therefore, the public.
If tenure has some legitimate components, I want to hear about them.