Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 22, 2012

Analyze The Tenure Policies

I assumed I would catch hell from the faculties at the various higher education institutions in Nevada because of my position on tenure.  My prediction was correct.  The responses however have not changed my opinion that the defects in tenure far exceed the benefits.
If there were not so many laws and regulations that protect academic freedom, I could see the continuation of tenure as long as its shortcomings were repaired.  But given the protection of a multitude of laws to academic freedom when I examine the flaws of tenure, I can’t find a reason to sustain it.

I would urge the Board of Regents to fully examine and analyze the tenure policies of the Nevada System of Higher Education.

Remember that tenure creates a lifetime employment contract between the university and the professor which in all reality cannot be terminated by the university.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Jim. Catching hell is part of the game and you ARE making a difference. THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete